Friday, June 3, 2011

Being a Hunter-Gatherer -- Lesson 2

A couple of months ago, local foodie friends were excited about two wild edibles: morels and ramps.  Morels are wild mushrooms that pop up here in the spring.  I went on a mushroom walk with a mycologist, and saw lots of fun fungi, but no morels. Subsequent walks yielded no prize, so I will just have to wait.  Ramps are early spring garlicky greens that grow in patches.  They are notorious for the pungent odor and taste.  I DID manage to find a patch of wild ramps, and harvested just enough for a taste. OH EM GEEZ what garlicky goodness!

Freshly harvested wild ramps

I used these to make a ramp and mushroom pizza. Yum!  This weekend I'll be going on another wild edible plants walk, with an entirely different group in a different place.  Want me to save you some weeds?

No comments:

Post a Comment