Friday, July 8, 2011

Mexican Food Month: Roasted Corn

Hey there thrill-seekers!

Have I got something that will thrill your taste buds!
 Wow, I need a haircut, huh?
 
ROASTED CORN!

Growing up, we always had boiled corn. Slathered in butter, salt, and pepper, it was a fun summer treat. But man, it has nothing on this corn.

Roasted corn fresh off the grill.

To roast corn, first get some fresh ears. There's a bumper crop of corn right now, so you should be able to find some for a good price.  Take all but the last layer or two of husk off. Peel that back and remove as much of the silk as you can. Leave the ends (as shown in the picture above) for a convenient handle while eating.  Then, wrap it back up, using a strip of husk to tie the end closed.  Put it on a hot grill, rotating every once and a while.  The corn exposed to the grill gets caramelized, which was a flavor I liked. Next time, I'll let more of the corn get caramelized.

The toppings were what really made this corn awesome.  Here's what you do:
  • Take mayonnaise (I know, you're thinking "really??" I thought that, too. Just go with me on this one.) and mix in chipotle sauce to taste. I used the sauce from some canned chipotle chiles, but you could use chipotle hot sauce.  Slather the corn with it, like you would use butter.
  • Sprinkle with: feta, fresh chopped cilantro, lime juice, and chili powder if you like it extra spicy.
  • Prepare to get messy.
  • Eat!
Of the Mexican food I've cooked so far, this is my favorite. Bon Appetit!

1 comment: